Wednesday 14 September 2016

Game one, "THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!"

So game one is in the books. Wow.... Seriously. This is everything I wanted.

This is not to say the game is perfect but I was grinning ear to ear with BMPs and T-72s crashing about and German kit popping up everywhere to exact a toll.

This guy is a happy guy.

So the I ran the list I showed a few posts ago, Motor Rifle Battalion. Two medium coys with T-72 support, Hinds, Shilkas, 2S1s, and some recce. It's a ton to put on the table.

We decided to do a Hasty attack. Rolling off I was to attack into Germany (HOW THEMATIC I LOVE IT!)

I think it's an interesting scenario, both players making choices and forces moving to assist, it's a great scenario.
The field of battle

My opponent picked his table edge, finding a small farm house as the center of his defence.

As it's a hasty attack born out of an advance to contact I had to pick my reserves first to present to the enemy but he had to deploy first (again I can't stop thinking about how well written this scenario is) so I took my two Motor Rifle Coys, the T-72 and the 2S1s. This is where I realized I had made my first mistake, I had not preplanned a DF for my artillery and with Soviet artillery that could be bad. But I think in this planning phase I made a really good decision taking the artillery over the Hinds.

I love Hinds. Seriously, they're just cool, but air of any sort in this game is a really neat generals game. By leaving them off I forced my opponent to consider leaving his air defence off the table, which he did. With my having immediate reserves vice his scattered delayed reserves this gave me some assurances of at least getting off a volley of shots before losing the birds. Had he put his AD on the table I would have been in a position to take it out fighting against his limited forces.

The more I think about it the more cool this game is. 

He placed his infantry in the farm house with their Marders hiding behind a roadsign like a bunch of cops. From there he placed a troop of tanks on one flank, a troop of tank hunters on the other and somewhere lay in wait another troop of dreaded Leopard 2s.

In response I loaded one flank with two companies of infantry dismounted and placed their BMPs in the center and on the opposing flank. I was hoping this would force a decision on my opponents part of fighting the light armour or dealing with the Infantry with tanks.

My T-72s were in the center of my armour and my 2S1s hung back waiting for the call to fire.






Turn One I pushed forward with my Tanks and the central BMPs While the Infantry pushed the flank. The BMPs in the treeline sat in wait to pounce on anything that broke cover.

One Leopard 2 was destroyed and the Squadron Commander was double bailed, but hung around. With pretty much my whole army out in the open I waited for the response.


The OC didn't remount, something about double checking the systems. He popped his Ambush infront of my Infantry as the likes of a whole company moving to assault his tank hunters wasn't a fair fight. MGs rattled off but the walls of the industrial complex protected the Soviets. Missiles rang out and destroyed the three BMPs that had turned to face the tank destroyers.

On the other flank one T-72s turret arced high into the air as the secondary detonation of the ammunition erupted. But a flurry, a mighty cacophony of 2s rolled by the Germans was the only thing that protected the Russian force. Seriously. I had rolled well, but the compounding factor of just a crazy series of 2s really opened the door for me. No tactical genius here, just some luck. And in war that's half the day.

Turn 2 and the hinds show up....

So then Infantry keep moving to the objective while the coy in the industrial complex hold firm.


 So yeah. I have 2 pretty solid kill zones. On the right the two remaining Leopards go down. The Commander lives, seriously. He's like Iron. I can't break him.

On the Left Artillery gets a lucky hit and kills a Leopard, and 6 missiles scream out and take down another. The remaining Leo stays in the fight.

In the middle at the farm the shootout begins. I drop all of the Marders and take some HIGHLY ineffective shots at the infantry.

His turn two sees the boss remount, who with the infantry drop 3 T-72s and bail the other two who pass their test.

The remaining Leopard 2 moves to contest the objective.

Hes had better days.

The OCs tank was destroyed by the T-72s that remounted and the Barrage of AT missiles from the Hinds took out the last member of the pl. Hilariously this is the one time in the game where I rolled nothing but hits, all 6 of them on one tank.

The infantry shelled the tank hunters and assaulted the remaining one, bailing and capturing it.

His Infantry, stubborn as all hell, held the center.

He rolled up reserves on his turn and on came two Luchs right into the heat of things.
They managed to kill the Gremlin team, but that was it, with two companies of Infantry with all of their AT, the Hinds and the remaining BMPs the Germans didn't send forth anymore troops to hold the position. We called it there.

This was an interesting intro to Team Yankee.

First impression, THINGS DIE FAST IN MODERN WAR! Seriously, really super fast, and in large amounts. Modern warfare is a dangerous business and this game shows the carnage.

Missions still rule this game and I love that. Yeah I'm hooked.

The models are cool and with great scenery who wouldn't want to play more of this?

So yeah, I have one game down now. Hopefully a bunch more in my future, but at least one game under my belt as I look to go to our areas first tournament this weekend.

Until next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment